1. The condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
2. To show regard or consideration for ; to respect someone's rights
3. To refrain from intruding upon or interfering with ; to respect a person's privacy
4. To relate or have reference to.
If you ask me what 'respect' is, I would say respect is the act of honoring the environment, animals, and individuals no matter who they are whether they are someone below, above or as equal as you, regardless of their gender, age and ethnics.
I've witnessed a few situations where the act of an individual indirectly shows that he/she is showing their lack of respect to the other individual/animal/environment. A few examples of a common situation in today's world :
1. A smoker who smokes in a restaurant where everybody else is trying to enjoy their food. They resemble that of uncivilized human and I consider this act as a contempt behavior to the surrounding.
2. A person who throws his or her cigarettes / plastics / worn tissues / empty bottles out of his or her car, these rude people deserve to be thrown in the waste disposal center and never to be on the road again.
3. People who do not give their seats to the people who need them most in the bus / train. These people are insensitive, lack of respect, and actually... rude.
4. Drivers who don't stop their cars when they see a pedestrian trying to cross the road at the zebra crossing. Don't they know the law or are they just being selfish?
5. A person who is too proud of him or herself / always look down to others in many ways, such as the difference in education level / job status / financial status / gender / age level / ethnic groups etc. These people are super ego and think themselves as the greatest human ever existed and everybody else is always low.
6. A lecturer who doesn't give a damn about a student's individuality in producing own works ( especially in the area of design / literature / music / arts) They don't 'guide', but tells you what to do / what not to do because they wanna see the output the way they wanna see it. They don't respect the student's creativity and individuality. In the end everyone will produce almost the same style of works.
It is necessary to look in detail at all the littlest things that we might have gone unnoticed because they are all now have become common things that happen everyday. This post is not intended to offend anyone in any ways, it is just something that we can think about. Let us just remind each other. Peace!